The player of the game was Damian Johnson. He lead all scorers with 19 points, 4 rebounds and 2 steals. He drew the defensive assignment of Raymar Morgan and Delvon Roe. They combined for 5 points and 8 fouls. He is our best player and continues to prove it every game.
I know other blogs are doing this but here is a summary of what has hurt or helped the Gophers chances.
Hurt the Gophers
- Baylor is hanging around by beating Texas. They are in the Big 12 title game against Missouri. They are not a at-large team but if they win they will steal a bid from a bubble team.
- Maryland beat Wake Forest. Maryland was looking for a high-quality win and they got it by beating Wake. They have wins against UNC, MSU and Wake. They still have a worse resume than the Gophers but that will change if they beat Duke in the Semis.
- Temple beat Xavier and San Diego State beat BYU. They both became likely at-large teams who can both be automatics if they win their conference title games. I don't think they knock off the Gophers but they will push them closer to the bubble with less at-large spots.
- USC beat UCLA. They are a legitimate at-large team now. I still think they have a worse resume than the Gophers but that could change if they beat ASU in the title game and got an automatice bid.
- Penn State lost convincingly to Purdue. Penn State will be the first team from the Big Ten not invited. I don't think Penn State will make the tournament.
- Kentucky lost to LSU. Kentucky is done and we don't have to worry about the legacy pick.
- Virginia Tech lost to UNC. Virginia Tech is no longer an option.
- South Carolina lost by 18. Another team with a worse resume than the Gophers.
- Missouri crushing Baylor
- Maryland losing to Duke
- Temple wins the A-10
- USC loses to ASU